Top 10 Ways to Sell Digital Goods Online in 2020
Digital goods have become a booming market with many individuals, businesses, and even large corporations taking the digital route to reach out to an ever-growing number of Internet users. On top of that, thanks to progressing technology, it is now easier than ever to reach out to potential customers and clients for your digital goods.
Selling digital goods used to be quite complicated but with the advent of many online services and tools, it is now much more simple. And in this post, we will make it even simpler for you!
Before we move on, however, let us go over some of the most profitable digital products in the market these days.
Profitable Digital Products
Many online entrepreneurs have taken to selling digital products online. It could be a video tutorial on how to get started with playing the violin or a novel they’ve been working on. The only question left is whether or not the product they’re selling will be profitable.
- E-books. Quick, paper-free and environment-friendly, e-books are a popular method of consuming information, entertainment, or both on the go.
- Digital Photography. Digital photography has undoubtedly become greatly dominant over the years. Gone are the days of the reel camera with a greater part of mainstream photography taking to the digital forefront.
- Online Courses. Are you an expert? Why not share your expertise with the world? Wouldn’t be bad if you could make a passive income while teaching what you’re best at.
- Music. An aspiring artist no longer has to go through the daunting process of securing a record label first. If you have that jazz you can sell your music directly to people and have the record companies come to you once you’re making waves!
- Web Elements. Online designing has been a popular industry for a while and is still going strong. If you have a flair for digital design there’s no need to stand in line! It’s time to monetize!
Start Selling With These eCommerce Platforms
One of the first things that are required (after the digital goods, of course) is an online platform that you can use to receive payments for your products. This is where the simplicity created by modern technology, that we mentioned in the start, kicks in.
In this section, we will go over a list of the best eCommerce platforms that are currently available for you to start building your online empire.
If you have been researching eCommerce for WordPress websites, chances are that you have already come across the name WooCommerce. Over 16 million downloads and taking care of more than 37% of all online stores, WooCommerce is one of the most popular platforms for eCommerce out there. Here’s a great article on some of the best WooCommerce themes by Karol.
- 100% open source platform.
- Free and paid extensions marketplace.
- Allows for sales of any kind of digital product.
- Intelligent shopping UX.
- Flexible shipping options.
- Built-in analytics and reporting.
- Worldwide community, dedicated support, and extensive documentation.
WooCommerce is open source so the core plugin is available for free. This also means you can purchase third-party extensions and even themes that have WooCommerce integration. There are a number of free and paid extensions to pick from the WooCommerce store, as well. See our article on WooCommerce pricing to know how much does it cost to run a WooCommerce store.
Easy Digital Downloads is a fast growing platform for eCommerce that is gaining popularity by the day. This tool is attracting users due to its powerful functionality, extensibility, and great features. Here’s a quick feature list of what Easy Digital Downloads has on offer.
- Great customer record and profile management.
- Discount code options with multiple parameters.
- Compatibility with REST API.
- Open source and developer-friendly.
- Free and paid extensions.
- Seamless integration with payment gateways.
Easy Digital Downloads core is completely free for anyone to download and use. With that said, however, for accessing premium extensions you can purchase a yearly license.
- Single website – $49
- 2-5 websites – $82
- Unlimited – $123
It doesn’t matter what you want to sell or if you have a digital product for sale, Shopify has everything set up for you. This platform not only offers flexibility and functionality in taking care of your online business but also knows how to look good while doing the job – with themes from world class designers.
- Over a 100 professionally crafted themes.
- Complete access to HTML and CSS editing.
- Mobile commerce ready from the get-go.
- Abandoned checkout recovery
- Unlimited bandwidth and hosting.
You can try Shopify free for 14 days and if you enjoy the service then you may opt for any of the 3 plans based on your requirements.
- Basic Shopify – $29
- Shopify – $79
- Advanced Shopify – 299
If you need some inspiration, check out our article on 25+ Amazing Examples of Sites Using Shopify.
A platform for creators of every field, Gumroad prides itself in being an all-in-one solution for all aspects of your online business. It gives the owner full control over their business management while offering helpful tools.
- Personalization of your landing page.
- Audience management tools built-in.
- License key generation.
- Multiple product versions.
- Rentals support.
Gumroad package starts at $10 per month. There is 3.5% + $0.30 fee per charge. This also includes unlimited bandwidth.
Sellfy is great platforms for writers and designers to promote and sell their digital products. If you have your own product and website ready to go then you can simply add a buy button to your site or open a storefront on Sellfy.
- Storefront facilitates in making sales without a website.
- Dedicated product showcase page.
- Mobile device optimization.
- Analytics for a better business overview.
- Built-in invoicing and tax reporting tools.
- WYSIWYG store customization.
- Zapier integration.
Sellfy has a basic version with a 5% transaction fee and up to 5 products with no recurring monthly cost. If that doesn’t float your boat then there are two pricing plans available that can opt for based on your requirements.
- Professional – $15 per month.
- Publisher – starts at $250 per month.
Don’t forget to use our sellfy coupon code “ecommercebooth” to get 20% OFF.
If your product is digitally downloadable you can sell it via this service. It’s as simple as that. Facilitating online businesses since 2007, FetchApp is a veteran of the game.
- Hosted platform takes care of everything, no need for elaborate setups or configurations.
- Great product management with product version sorting.
- Security and anti-abuse measures for your product.
- Great admin experience.
FetchApp offers a free plan with 5 MB storage space and unmetered bandwidth. If you require more storage you can opt for any of the paid plans based on your required storage. These plans range from $5 per month to $500 per month.
SendOwl is a fantastically simple way of getting your online business going if you’re selling digital products. A great platform that automates everything for you. Just create a product and get paid – let SendOwl take care of everything else.
- Responsive for all devices.
- Multi-lingual support.
- In-built affiliate system.
- API access for back-end integration with your system.
- Basic – $9/month
- Standard – $15/month
- Premium – $24/month
- Business – $39/month
If you prefer to keep things simple and efficient then E-junkie is a great, lightweight eCommerce resource. It is a simple shopping cart that can be added to any website, blog, and even social media so you can leverage any other platform that you are using to promote your product.
- No setup and installations, plain and easy to get started with and use.
- Built-in calculators for shipping, packaging, taxes and VAT.
- Management systems for inventories and affiliates.
- Support for third-party and custom integration.
- Google analytics and eCommerce Tracking.
E-junkie has a flat monthly subscription fee that has no bandwidth and transaction limits. The plans start from $5/ month and go up to $100/month based on the number of products and storage space required.
Pulley is a service offered by BigCartel. This entry on our list is also a “buy now” button cart shopping cart based system to sell your digital goods. This system can be incorporated into any website and you’re good to go.
- Ability to sell on any existing platform.
- Seamless integration with Big Cartel stores.
- Neat and ordered download and sales history.
- Clear stats and analytics dashboard for an overview.
- Simple and secure.
Pulley has plans starting from $6/month to $49/month based on the number of products you have in stock and your required storage space. You can also opt for high volume plans that start with $99/month (for unlimited products) to $299/month.
A solid eCommerce platform through and through, Digital Product Delivery is a secure and convenient method to sell not only your downloadable digital goods but also services and tangible goods.
- Responsive design for any device.
- Product delivery and hosting.
- Allows setting up of multiple stores.
- Built-in tax and shipping calculations.
- Supports sale of tangible goods and services.
- Support for multiple languages.
DPD offers flat rate pricing based on your product numbers and storage space. Starting at $10/month you can scale up with DPD as your requirements increase.
Wrapping It Up
This rounds up some of the best eCommerce platforms we came across to help you sell your digital goods online. We do, of course, understand that not everyone’s requirement is the same and hopefully this list will point you in the right direction.
Do you use, and find useful, any of the services mentioned above? Let us know in the comments below along with any other methods you would like to share. Hope you have a great time selling!